I make stuff. I like to think as hard as I can about what I would like to see in the world, and then make that happen. This usually requires a fluid correspondence between worlds and teams, and that’s how I like it.
As an artist, I make works that refine human bandwidth, either by expanding it to reach new spectra, or by focusing it in new ways. Often these works are designed to function in other experimental or speculative capacities, augmenting spaces with useful behaviors or holding a weird-mirror to your online personae. This is the space where I will also go by AKA, or AKA MEDIA SYSTEM.
As a professional, I work with small excellent teams, often at the state of the art, to make the right product happen. This role has taken many shapes and titles over the years, from heading up product strategy at Temboo, leading the critical and hardware research efforts at the New York Times R&D Lab, or building a Fab Lab at a NASA facility.
At my happiest, I’m learning something new. It’s important for me to be able to prototype full ideas, which means I can be found at any part of the stack, wherever I’ll make the best impact. I studied video/new media art at Harvard and received my Master’s at the MIT Media Lab. At MIT I worked in the Hyperinstruments group on locative media art, performance robotics, rapid prototyping, interface design, and CNC systems.
If you would like to get in touch, please go here.
I am currently accepting interesting consulting gigs, which I usually do three or four times during the year; I’m also working on one or two Secret Projects I hope I’ll be able to share soon.
- I use pinboard, flickr, twitter, github, youtube, vimeo, soundcloud, and more services that I have forgotten about.
- I build CNC machines and do other experimental fabrication on the side. Since 2014 I’ve been turning bowls out of reclaimed wood on my mini-lathe.
- I blog crafts, code snippets, and other less-substantial stuff here.
- I try to keep up my writing with a little semi-autobiographical blog. It has been awhile since an update.
- I brew beer, I love dogs, and I married Harlo. I love her the most.
- I feel like I am very good at pool and poker, but the feeling is wrong: I am not good at those.
- I live in Brooklyn. Before Brooklyn, I lived in Massachusetts; before that, New Hampshire; before that, South Florida; before that, Canada; before that, England; before that, Ecuador; before that, Ohio; before that, Illinois; before that, I was still dead.